1. Do not handle a firearm you do not know how to operate!
If you are unfamiliar with how a firearm functions do not handle it. Find someone who does and can properly instruct you on how to handle the firearm safely.
2. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded!
Every firearm should be treated as if it is loaded at all times.
3. Always keep all firearms pointed in a safe direction!
This is the key to making sure that even if a firearm were to be fired when not intended the risk of injury would be minimized. Common sense should dictate what the safest direction is depending on the circumstances. Never point a firearm at something you are not willing to destroy.
4. Keep all firearms unloaded until ready to use!
Whenever you first handle a firearm follow these steps:
- Engage the safety on the firearm if applicable.
- Remove the magazine from the firearm if applicable.
- Open the action and inspect the chamber to be sure it is empty.
If you do not know how to perform the actions above see rule #1!
Even after performing the actions above, see rules #2 and #3.
5. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire!
When handling a firearm do not touch the trigger until you are ready to fire. Until that time your finger should remain extended outside of the trigger guard.
6. When shooting know your target and what is beyond!
Always be aware of what is behind your target and do not shoot at a target that is in front of something you would not want to shoot.